Things You Can Do To Your Home With No Permission

January 22nd, 2022

<!– wp:acf/content-area {
"id": "block_61ec441356847",
"name": "acf\/content-area",
"data": {
"content_area_label": "",
"_content_area_label": "field_5eb2cd6b95a42",
"content_area_title": "",
"_content_area_title": "field_5e725e7a479fc",
"content_area": "

What Can You do to Your Property With No Permission Needed?\r\n


When you decide to start making changes to your home, the first thing that comes to mind is ‘Do I need permission for this?’\r\nFortunately, there are many things you can do without any planning permission at all. After all, you did buy your property, so it does belong to you. \r\n\r\nThere are many reasons you might want to make changes to your home. You may want more space for a growing family, you may have run out of storage, or you might need office space for a new small business venture. \r\n\r\nOf course, there are restrictions on the right to a PD, especially if you live in the Conservation Area or if you have already made numerous changes to your home. Larger and more significant projects or adding large extensions will require planning approval. Always check everything before you start working to avoid inconvenience.\r\n\r\nWhatever your reason, here are some developments you can do without having any permission from the powers that be.\r\n

Internal remodelling\r\nIf you wish to develop the inside of your home, you can do so long as the development doesn’t involve the expansion of space. However, you will need Building Regulations approval for structural elements and electrical work.\r\n

Windows and doors\r\nYou do not need permission to move, replace or add new windows to the original walls of your home. So long as you don’t live in a listed building same goes for double-glazing. Bay windows, however, will require permission, as they are considered an extension. You may need planning permission to add or replace windows if the conditions were attached to the original permission, in which case it is a good idea to check with local authorities what the conditions are. \r\n

Loft conversion\r\nYou won’t need planning permission to get extra space by converting a loft. Loft conversions are a great way to create more space in your home for a bedroom or lounge area. A dormer window also does not require permission. But they must not sit more than the highest part of the existing roof or extend towards the plane of the roof at the main elevation. \r\n

Adding a shed or a summer house\r\nIf you have a larger garden and wish to build an outhouse or buy a shed\/summerhouse then you may be able to do it without permission, provided that the total area covered by such buildings does not exceed 50% of the curtilage. This 50% should take into account any extensions, but not the area covered by the main house. Exterior buildings can only be a single story with a maximum height of 2.5m. Your outbuilding cannot be for residential use if you want to build it without planning permission. It needs to be for an office, gym, storage, garden workshop and so on.\r\n

Porches\r\nFor the most part, extensions to the front of your home are not allowed without permission. However, you are permitted to build a porch if your new porch meets these requirements: no part is higher than 3m, is no more than 2m from any highway border, and the ground area does not exceed 3m².\r\n


Garden decking\r\nIf you would like to add garden decking to your garden without planning permission, all garden decking and other similar structures can be built as long as their height is no more than 30mm. A raised platform does require planning permission. \r\n

Swimming pool\r\nThis might come as a surprise, but no one will ask you for planning permission to build a pool in your yard if it does not occupy more than 50% of the area of your garden. \r\n

Solar panels\r\nWithout permission, you can add solar panels, so long as they do not stretch beyond 200mm of the wall or roof and that the highest part of the solar panel doesn’t go higher than the highest part of your roof (without a chimney). Restrictions will apply in protected areas.\r\n

Basements\r\nA basement conversion can be a great way to create more space in your home for storage, a bedroom, or living space. Basement development is available as a permitted development however, this doesn’t include engineering if your basement needs extra engineering work.\r\n

Gates, walls and fences\r\nYou do not need a permit to erect, construct, maintain, upgrade or remodel a gate, fence, wall or other enclosure. Provided that the height would not exceed 1m when close to the highway and that the height would not exceed 2m for any other gate or fence.\r\n

Parking spaces\r\nThe creation of a parking space is permitted under PD provided that any hard surface located between the main elevation and the highway or any surface greater than 5m² made of porous materials, and that it is intended to direct water runoff from the surface into the leakage area within the property curtilage, and not on the highway.\r\n

Rooflights\r\nThe introduction of roof lights can be accomplished without permission until they are more than 15cm from the slope of the roof. If the roof lights in the plane are positioned at an altitude in front of the highway, then they are not allowed. Also, they are not allowed in an apartment located in a protected area or an area of outstanding natural beauty.\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\nIn addition to the above, you can build single and even double-storey extensions without permission, but there are restrictions. \r\n\r\nAdding one floor will not require planning permission if the extension does not go forward of the principal elevation. If within 2m of any boundary, the eaves may not exceed 3m, and the height may not exceed 4m. The depth of the rear extensions should not exceed 4m for a detached house or 3m for a semi-finished or terrace. The width of the extension of the side accessories should not exceed half of the original dwelling.  The materials should be similar.\r\n\r\nWhen it comes to two-storey extensions, without planning permission you can add it to your home, provided it is located in the back of your apartment. Also, it shall not exceed 3 m or be within 7 m of the rear boundary.\r\n\r\nLike one-floor extensions, conservatories and orangeries do not need planning permission.”,
“_content_area”: “field_5e725ef86b9c3”,
“content_area_call_to_action_text”: “”,
“_content_area_call_to_action_text”: “field_5eb2d79c7babc”,
“content_area_call_to_action_link_type”: “”,
“_content_area_call_to_action_link_type”: “field_5eb2d7a37babd”,
“content_area_call_to_action”: “”,
“_content_area_call_to_action”: “field_5eb2d7907babb”,
“content_area_center_content”: “0”,
“_content_area_center_content”: “field_5e78e9263c629”,
“add_valuation_form”: “0”,
“_add_valuation_form”: “field_5ec96c71fa54e”,
“background_colour”: “theme-light”,
“_background_colour”: “field_5ec50a7ea8ba5”,
“add_top_spacing”: “1”,
“_add_top_spacing”: “field_5eb94ffbe5568”,
“top_spacing_size”: “section-padding-top”,
“_top_spacing_size”: “field_5eb95004e5569”,
“add_bottom_spacing”: “1”,
“_add_bottom_spacing”: “field_5eb950231ca34”,
“bottom_spacing_size”: “section-padding-bottom”,
“_bottom_spacing_size”: “field_5eb9502e1ca35”
“align”: “”,
“mode”: “edit”
} /–>